The air conditioner be it any of the kinds, is something that needs maintenance all the time. With the standard compressor to the unit taking up most of the strain to the unit, it is hardly surprising that most customers tend to pay the most attention to this part the most. It is also a fact that the compressor is the hardest working part of the air conditioner and at the heart of the unit as well.
- Getting the exterior clean: It is important to keep the exterior of the air conditioning unit clean as far as possible. Dust and dirt on the external condenser unit would cause the exterior to get rusted and the paint to peel off too. On the interior, the unit must be kept dry as far as possible. During the most humid parts of the year, it is customary to find moisture condensed or formed on the cool parts of the inner units. This must be promptly removed else it could result in damage to the paintwork initially and then the working parts of the air conditioner unit.
- Paying attention to the gas level: By the term gas in the air conditioner unit, it is the amount of coolant that people are referring to most of the time. There are certain parts of the working cycle that uses the liquid form of the coolant and others where the coolant is in the gas form. Each part of the cycle has its ways of upkeep and must be adhered to as far as possible. Since for the most parts, the gas is a colorless odorless one, it makes an extra effort to have the unit filled up and to the trim.
- Frozen refrigerant: People that use air conditioners to cool homes often complain of a frozen set of coils in the inside of the building. This often happens due to a faulty thermostat or a deficient working air conditioner. The corrective step, in this case, would be to turn off the compressor and allowing the blower to blow air to the coils. This would in no time melt away the ice and clean out the coils as best as could be done.
- Power consumed by the air conditioner: In any premise and let alone a home, the air conditioner would be one of the most power hungry of the utilities available. This would mean that it takes certain care to have the unit repaired and serviced all the time. Any faulty functioning of the air conditioner would mean a deficient cooling and in turn, affects the entire home electrical supply as well.
- Blown fuse: There are principally two types of blown fuses. The first is the fuse in the air conditioner unit and the other is the breaker in the power supply. The circumstances that cause each of them to blow out are different in each case and must be guarded against. Once the actual fuse is identified as being faulty, it would be best to ascertain the cause of the fault before attempting to repair or replace them.